Basketball Preseason Thread

coachacola

After being picked near the bottom of the Southland Conference standings entering the previous two seasons, expectations have been raised in Beaumont. Due in large part to the nation's 11th-largest turnaround last season in head coach Tic Price's first full season, the Lamar University Cardinals have been picked fifth in 2015 Southland Conference Preseason Head Coaches' Poll. The league media relations directors picked the Cardinals sixth.

"I've never really paid too much attention to the polls," said Price. "I just look at each opportunity as it presents itself. When we get into conference play I want to make sure that we are in the right mindset and that we capture that moment. The polls will take care of themselves as we go through the season. The team that can handle adversity the best is normally the team that will come out on top."

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2015/10/28/MBB_1028151416.aspx

The women are preseason favorites...

The Lamar University women's basketball team was picked to finish atop the Southland Conference standings in preseason polls of the league's coaches and sports information directors, the SLC announced Wednesday.

"It doesn't matter where you are picked to start the season, it's where you finish at the end of the season," LU coach Robin Harmony said. "We're going to have a target on our backs, but we can use that as motivation."

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2015/10/28/WBB_1028151257.aspx

I am worried about both teams this year. They are both incredibly young and will have to expect these freshmen to contribute immediately if they are to have early success. Harmony has talked about maybe starting as many as three freshmen on opening day. However with Edwards and Collins along with O'Dell and Bowers there is some returning fire power and leadership.

My prediction for the women's opening day line-up is:

PG Jamisha Edwards- Senior

SG Baileigh O'Dell- Sophomore (Though Harmony has barely mentioned her this preseason)

SF/SG Moe Kinard- RS Sophomore (Transfer from UH)

PF Kiara Desamours0 Freshman (Preseason Freshman of the year)

C Kiandra Bowers- Junior

Prediction for the men's opening day line-up is:

PG Kevin Booze

SG Lincoln Davis

SF Dontavious Sears

PF Dorian Chapman

C Lemon Gregory

I guess the Lamar Mens BB opens with Austin College Friday night probably because Bacone couldn't make it. You would think our 2nd team should beat these guys handily, so wouldn't you think an intersquad scrimmage would be more beneficial?

While AC is not the ideal opponent, they have been to the D3 postseason every year with the exception of last year. They are returning 12 guys including 6 with starting experience. Lamar should blow them out easily, but this is a successful team in their league and I think could give Lamar a push for the first 10 minutes of the game. Lamar needs a game like this with so few returning players and starting at least two freshmen.

Bosha had a procedure recently on both knees. He is not 100% and is definitely not in shape. I hope he can get back to playing like he did the first part of season last year and I hope he can remain injury this season. Edited by Sweet T

While AC is not the ideal opponent, they have been to the D3 postseason every year with the exception of last year. They are returning 12 guys including 6 with starting experience. Lamar should blow them out easily, but this is a successful team in their league and I think could give Lamar a push for the first 10 minutes of the game. Lamar needs a game like this with so few returning players and starting at least two freshmen.

Thanks Big T for putting some perspective on our first game. We seem to be pretty good a schedule bashing around here but nobody bitches when we play a big D-I school and get our arses handed to us. No different than football really, you take what you can get and make the most of the experience. I wonder why we are such schedule snobs around here. Give Tic a chance to build the program, Coach Knight didn't leave him much to work with reputation wise. There is value in playing a cupcake just as there is some value playing a powerhouse. You can grow from both. Roll out to the Montagne and enjoy a win. How about that for a concept? Enjoy a win. Because they can be pretty hard to come by sometimes. Use the game to get to know the team before they travel to California to play Fresno. Nobody complaining about playing Fresno? Interesting. It's like Sgt Hulka said to Psycho in the movie Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis".

Jones did not suit up and the walk on from Dallas was not on the bench????? Davis is the surprise. We have 4 that can play the point guard,3 that can play the post without a big drop off in any area...so for ...I have watched Bosha in 2 practices and a scrimmage. Tonight was the first time he has hit a shot in months. BUT. Coach said he has been hitting in practice. So we will see. Good crowd for the first game especially on a Friday. Football nite. Colton Wiesbold was in the stands at the scrimmage and tonight too. He had 39 points in the each of the last 2 games for Lamar Pt A.

You do realize that he has been hurt. He had cartilage in his groin area in both legs burned through his skin to make the cartilage less thick (not his knees) about 3 weeks ago. There was not an incision. He didn't practice in the offseason nor did he work out. He was in therapy. So, how well would you shoot under those circumstances? From what I have been told, he has been hitting threes in practice. At this point it is a good sign that he can run. Hell it is wonderful that he can still walk He was injured the latter part of the season last year; as well.